How To Firm Up A Mattress?
Sometimes we make the big mistake of buying new mattress that is a little too soft because we enjoy sleeping on a soft and comfortable surface. But these mattresses begin to lose the support fast and you will eventually start waking up with back and neck pains. This is your body’s way of telling you that your mattress is too soft and needs to be changed. If you do not have the money to buy a new mattress there are a couple of ways on how to firm up a mattress.
- Home indoor temperature affects mattress feel. Many of the mattresses that are made today use materials that are affected by room indoor temperature. The best example is the memory foam. Foam’s that respond to warm or cool temperatures can firm up or soften up respectfully. So find out what kind of temperature your mattress’s materials need to firm up and start warming or cooling your room so that you can have a good night’s sleep.
- Flip the mattress over. If the mattress has two sides you should turn in over from time to time. This will temporary promote the needed firmness.
- Use mattress pads. Mattress pads can change the feel of your bed immediately to a better one. There are many different pads, such as pads filled with polyester, wool, cotton, feather or any other material. Depending on which material is used for the filling of the pad it can alter the way you sleep at night and the way your body feels when you wake up in the morning. The best thing is that mattress pads can be bought at reasonable prices at local department stores or even online.
- Add center support to your sleeping bed frame. If you have a steel bed it is good if you add center support to its frame, because steel beds do not have support bard in the middle. That is why your mattress softens and it does so mostly in the middle. You can purchase support bars, and there are two kinds – the center ones support the sleeping bed laterally while the vertical ones support the steel bars up and down.
- Put a slim piece of plywood under your memory foam mattress. Putting a piece of plywood under your memory foam mattress gives support to your softened mattress if the box spring of your mattress just isn’t enough. If your box spring of mattress just isn’t enough to support your mattress replace it with a piece of ply wood because insufficient base support is the main factor why your mattress losses firmness.
- Place the foam mattress on the floor. If you cannot afford to put a piece of plywood, a cheaper alternative is to put your mattress down on the floor. It is better to sleep on the floor that to sleep on a boxspring that just doesn’t have the support needed for you mattress. You can also build a wood pedestal and platform if you want to save up some money.
- Put a mattress topper on your mattress. Mattress toppers are a great way to alter your mattress’s firmness. Toppers are easily available as you can buy them anywhere. There are different toppers built from different materials such as wool, foam etc. and they vary in their firmness. Thickness is the most important thing that you should focus on when looking to buy a mattress topper.